Tuesday, January 7, 2020

MSP pushing Meraki hard. Want performance/cost ratio. What do you like?

Need:

  • 400 ports worth of switches, 8 x 48 or so over 3 offices

  • at least 2x 10G ports SFP+ ports each

  • trying to stay under $1600 per switch (this is the hard part)

  • Nothing too heavy lifiting, it's zero compute, zero serious storage, just mainly users getting on internet and local file shares. Not mission critical application, just annoyed users if there was a problem.

  • PoE, not even PoE+ required

Optionally:

  • L3, it can't really hurt.

  • cloud config as the MSP is remote

The MSP is a Meraki shop and we have the firewalls, but I just can't in good faith support Meraki's business model of renting the hardware you own, feature limiting it, charging premium+, and vendor lock in. Any more than one shady business tactic and I'm likely to avoid you.

My options are Ubiquity Gen2 line, maybe Ruckus has a cheapish option, HPE has non-Aruba branded, Cisco SG350X and maybe the 550X doubt there is anything Catalsyt in my budget. IDK, Dell? ZyXell

I'm just stuck. Buying (fucking) switches should not be this hard! It's not like I'm asking for the moon. It's not like any of them are doing advanced packet heuristics and security, they're switches.

I'm about to throw my hands up, but Ubiq Gen2, cloud keys, and have an on hand spare - 1/2 because they are a good deal and 1/2 because I'm mad at the MSP for making my life harder.

What do you like at my budget?



No comments:

Post a Comment