Tuesday, January 14, 2020

It's 2020 and I have questions about token ring, CAUs, LIUs and LAMs

So I am a vintage IBM enthusiast and hobbyist that collects and restores old MicroChannel machines and I've been looking to network my machines for awhile now. Now, I could just be a normal person, stick LANStreamer cards in these machines and get a generic Ethernet hub, but that just doesn't feel right. No, I want the *full IBM expeirence* and that means connecting these machines to a Token Ring network managed by the finest IBM equipment available, and it just so happens I was given a box of MicroChannel adapters and an IBM 8230-003 Controlled Access Unit loaded out with four, four-port LIU's and a coax in-out module by one of my Uni professors.

Now, as I understand it, LIU stands for Lobe Interface Unit and while these modules sport four RJ45 jacks each, I'm fairly certain I can't just directly connect systems into it and that I need a LAM, or Lobe Attachment Module, which is effectively a 1U or 2U item with eight to thirty-two ports. Oh, and there are also serial ports on the back for use with up to four(?) LAMs, though I assume these are just for management of the LAMs.

So, my questions for you fine people are as follows...

- Can I directly connect systems to this CAU? Or do I need a LAM?

- If I need a LAM, how exactly do I go about connecting it to the CAU?

- What type of LAM (eg: IBM 82xx) would be "correct" to use alongside this CAU? I'm a stickler for period correctness and I don't want to just stick a newer LAM onto my older CAU.

- What resources or other information can you give or recommend to me that might be helpful?

- Am I insane for wanting create the first new Token Ring network in however many years?



No comments:

Post a Comment