Wednesday, January 29, 2020

In need of clarification about 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz wireless

We have a client that runs into a strange wireless situation. When they use 5Ghz network, everything works fine however when they do switch to 2.4 they start having connectivity issues.

Our first thought was that this could be caused by interference, but after running Inssider and using Ekahau heatmapper, we discovered that the channels used(1,6,11) by the access points (Dlink 6610 B1) were clear and no other wireless devices were broadcasting around them.

Since their network is consisted of one huge subnet for everything, we thought that maybe the network gets congested however the question remains, why does the congestion not happen on the 5Ghz band? I am not very experienced with wireless but the only explanation I could think of is maybe 5Ghz antennas support more traffic than 2.4Ghz...I've been looking online for the differences between the 2 bands but all I keep seeing is 'less interference because more frequencies'

I would appreciate it if someone could at least point me in the right direction and help me find some materials regarding this issue



No comments:

Post a Comment