Thursday, January 16, 2020

How to generate Cisco config files?

Hello everyone!

I got a job offer yesterday and am really looking forward to this position as a junior network & security engineer. During my interview they mentioned that they will rollout 100 switches for a project this year and when I asked them how they generate the config files, they said they didn't and it's all done by hand but will move to a new solution next year. I was pretty astonished by that answer since I have recently started getting back into python and learn some network automation/programming and thought that it's common to automate a process like that.

Now in my homelab with the 4 switches I have, I haven't generated and rolled out whole configs yet. I am currently working with the library netmiko and have only done small things like shutdown unused switchports, configure port security and draw a map of the topology with scripts.

Now I thought about how I could help my future employer to automate this process, since my start date is in March.

How would I go about automating this? Are switch configurations usually planned in excel/csv files that I could information from and generate a config file from? Or should I not generate a config file but instead use netmiko to send every single command to configure it? From my experience so far, sending commands to shutdown switchports for example when not using a range command is very slow and may not be ideal for this purpose.

What are your experiences and what resources should I look into? Any help is appreciated thank you!!



No comments:

Post a Comment