Thursday, January 2, 2020

[HELP] I need help understanding how to use the console port on this switch

I am attempting to set up a new homelab as a hobby, so I bought a Force10 S50-01-GE-48T-V managed switch and two R410s (they were like 20 a piece, so I figured why not).

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to connect the console port to my PC.

From my understanding, as stated in the document, I used "a straight-through RJ-45 copper cable (a standard Ethernet cable) into the console port. ", page 16. So I used a standard Ethernet cable and I plugged it into my computers Ethernet port. As you can guess this did not work.

So I went and bought a RJ-45/DB-9 adapter and connected the Ethernet cable from the switch, to the Ethernet port of the adapter.

I also bought a DB9 to USB RS232 Serial Converter Adapter as I was searching on the internet and it seemed like this was the recommended way to connect to this switch through my computer which lacks a serial port. However, the problem I am running into it seems like is that the RJ-45/DB-9 adapter is male, and the DB9 to USB is also male. So I figure I am either doing something wrong or I bought the wrong cables/converters.

I would appreciate any help with this I can get as I am simply trying to pick up another hobby.



No comments:

Post a Comment