Thursday, January 9, 2020

Have I been reading AS Path listings wrong this entire time?

I come from a Juniper background, and I remember in their books they declare BGP AS Paths as "The path to the route's source AS, declared "... 3rd 2nd 1st". The route "back"." or at least that's what's in my notes and that's based off of the JIR v18a course.

I'm at work looking at one of our homegrown tools and they declare them in the standard ASN ASN ASN ... syntax, but with the next(1st) hop, 2nd, 3rd, ... and I've been wondering... Has it always been like this? I might've misinterpreted the examples used in the books, it just occurred to me that they might've been using examples from the pov of another device that wasn't the source. It just makes more sense being left to right, unless I've just confused myself even more.



No comments:

Post a Comment