Friday, January 3, 2020

Does this exist? RJ-45 "coupler" that does DHCP

I've got a bit of an odd use case where I need to connect two Nintendo Switch systems together via Ethernet, and that's it - nothing more than device-to-device communication (for running PvP tournaments). Currently, I'm able to connect the consoles to each other directly as long as I manually assign IP addresses on each system. Alternatively, if I connect them both to a router, the router manage DHCP and no static IP assignment needs to be done.

Manually assigning IP addresses is tedious, especially since in this use case the systems are not my own and the systems used are not consistent from day to day (as the player base shifts). Ideally, I would love to have a middleman device that both systems can plug into that can act as a lightweight DHCP manager, possibly even being powered over the Ethernet cables themselves. If the middleman device always assigned the same IPs for each port, that would work.

Does such a device exist, or am I just describing a really basic router that doesn't exist due to low demand?



No comments:

Post a Comment