Monday, December 2, 2019

Which data in a Wireshark packet can i use to analyze a public wireless network?

(This is a homework question, I'm sorry if this is annoying, I read through the sub rules and all. I HOPE this is the right sub for this too, wasn't sure if this is something that would go on the techsupport one or not).

So for a project I have to capture data from my uni's 2 wifi networks (public one VS one you have to log in to), and just generally 'compare them'. Now I've watched probably 3 dozen 'Wireshark for dummies' videos in the past week and read through our whole textbook as well as sought out general online resources, but with a knowledge base of 0 and no in-class preparation, I'm not entirely sure what data/custom columns I can use to come to any conclusions about the network other than what IP gets assigned and what ports it all goes through. The only other project detail specified I should capture that from a VM to simulate the first ever connection of a machine to the network, which I did.

I'm not asking anyone to chew it out for me, I would be happy even with a small pointer of what filters/data I should look at.



No comments:

Post a Comment