Thursday, December 5, 2019

When is your WAN *not* a fit for SD-WAN?

It's Thursday. I see no thickheaded post, so I'm going to be thickheaded here and hope some experts can pipe-in and tell me what I'm missing here.

I think the dream for some of us in networking is to have a centralized management system for all our sites, be it within a large city or spanning the globe. The SD-WAN kool-aid brings the promise of centralized management of these sites for those with branches across the country/globe, but what about for those with lots of sites within a large city?

Why am I asking this? Well, I'm looking at the state of my network which spans a large city, and we have around 100 branches/offices, and we have dark 1G fiber between them. However, most of them have low bandwidth, and even bursting is less than 100 Mbps at most; and most of their traffic isn't going to destined for our datacenters it just goes through them* -- in fact, our datacenters have shrunk to the point of putting everything on two or three racks at each location.

Why wouldn't SD-WAN be applicable in this situation? Assume I have competitive bandwidth options (be it SMB-level broadband, metro-ethernet, MPLS, etc.).

Now I realize I'm simplifying things a bit, when asking this, but when is SD-WAN not a fit for a WAN, in a theoretical sense.

There's just a lot of coverage with SD-WAN right now (or maybe the algorithms are making it that way), so it really has me thinking.

Thanks ladies and gents.

Edit- Detail error on my part that needed clarification.



No comments:

Post a Comment