Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Running Firewall via Virtualisation, is it a big no-no?

Hello all,

Recently had my internet upgraded to full Fibre and the router the ISP (BT in the UK) provide is pretty terrible, even changing the DNS server isn't allowed and afaik there's no custom firmware to open up such options.

I used to tinker with various firewalls some years ago but always ran something low-power like a Raspberry PI or Odriod C1 to handle the PPPOE connection and routing. With the connection now being significantly faster I need to use something a bit more powerful, especially if I wish to provide network wide VPN.

I currently have an old PC laying around which runs FREENAS and serves about 3tb of data to the lan. I was considering using something like Proxmox to virtualise FreeNAS and a firewall, something like Opnsense.

Are there any glaring issues that I need to be aware of before doing this? or reasons that you REALLY shouldn't?



No comments:

Post a Comment