Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Please help save my vacation sanity: new Meraki equipment added to network, and my MacBook Pro seems to break local DNS resolution for everyone when connected to it. What am I missing?!

We have multiple office suites in the same building, each connected with either ethernet or fiber uplinks. It's a flat network, totally vanilla, nothing special going on. Here's what we have:

  • FortiGate 100E (DNS & DHCP)
  • 4 Cisco 2960L switches in 3 office suites, with UniFi APs
  • In a new office suite we just opened, we have a Meraki MS225-48LP switch and MR45 access point. The switch is all default settings, and the AP is set to bridge mode with a single SSID.

Everything's been working fine in general until this new office was added. Yesterday we got the Meraki gear installed and the fiber uplink connected, and I put my MacBook Pro (10.15.2) on Wi-Fi to test it out. Within a few minutes I got reports that people couldn't print or access other devices on the local network. Internet access was unaffected. I could get to the printers/devices by IP, but not hostname.

I checked some basic stuff and couldn't find an obvious problem. Since it only started after we connected the new office, I pulled the fiber uplink out, and everything was immediately fixed.

To test again, I reconnected the uplink and left my Mac offline, but connected my iPhone. No issues at all. Connected my Mac, and within a few minutes the problems resurfaced.

I disconnected the fiber again and took my Mac over to another suite where we have UniFi APs and Cisco switches, and no issues there. Took it back to the Meraki network and reconnected the uplink, same problem.

So I've narrowed it down to specifically my Mac (or any Mac, presumably) on the Meraki network, but I for the life of me I can't figure out what the issue is. I called Meraki support and they couldn't pin it down either, and because it was so late on Christmas Eve we had to leave the ticket open and pick it back up after the holidays. But here I am on vacation and I can't stop thinking about this stupid problem.

Please help save my vacation.... what am I missing here?!



No comments:

Post a Comment