Thursday, December 12, 2019

Old School Enterprise Network Engineer Wishing to build a NAS/ESXi environment...

I fully realize this post probably belongs in a different subreddit. Chastise me as you please, but I'm posting here only because I'm interested in what other fellow network guys would say....

Anyhow, on to the meat of it... I found some old servers. One is a C22 M3 (2x 2.4Ghz 6 Core Processors w/8 600GB Drives), another is a C24 M3 (2x 2.1Ghz 8 Core Processors w/24 500GB Drives). Im basically just trying to find a way to use one, or both of them to build myself a pretty neato home set up to A. Have a NAS for me and the rest of the family to put stuff on. B. Be able to run test VMs or any other VMs of whatever on.

To keep the power budget low, I was thinking of only using the C24, installing ESXi on the internal USB drive, then creating two virtual disks of 12 drives (RAID 6 if I can). Then, I would Have a NAS VM running in ESXi, something like FreeNAS,... I guess? Suggestions? To access one Virtual Disk dedicated to it, the the other 12 disks dedicated to VM storage. Is this a bad idea? How much of a performance hit will I take since the NAS software is virtualized? Would I be better off to run two servers?



No comments:

Post a Comment