Saturday, December 7, 2019

Need career advice

Hi,

I’m kinda curious if any of the network consultants out here have experience working in smaller sized companies (70 people) and being taken over by a large company (3000+ people)?

I’m currently in this situation and I’m very unsure about what the future will bring. Atm it’s all very vague what’s to come, but the subtle ‘policy changes’ lately have brought up some doubts.

So long story short, in a period where I felt a little bit down/not motivated/disappointed in my company regarding planning (long days of 10-12h), a friend of mine recommended me to his company and they invited me for an interview.

This all went great, very nice people, it’s a small company.. again, long story short, they gave me an offer which is definately better than my current company, although not by THAT much.

I will list some pros and cons below to the ‘new company’ and my ‘current company’ and really hope anyone can give some solid advice.

New company: Pros: - the office is 30min less driving than my current company - met nice people during the 2 interviews, they seem really friendly - slightly better salary package - 38h/week instead of 40 from my current company, also flexible so I can start early and leave early. So work-life balance (looking from the working hours perspective) is definately better. - real life friend is working there

Cons: - new vendor, my current certificates are not relevant anymore. - not sure if i will 100% like the vendor - stepping into a new company can be scary, at least that’s how I experience it - any other downsides small sized companies can have ..

Current company: Pros: - i’m very familiar with the company - i like the products i work with - i am close to a handful of colleagues

Cons: - long working days - some colleagues are arrogant - multiple vendor partners, i have to deal with products im not familiar with occasionally which causes some stress sometimes - taken over by a giant company with probably much stricter policies (although atm still unknown how this will evolve).

Thanks for any advice, this would be my first job-hop ever and it scares me. The new company knows about my doubts and were very understanding and kind about this, they are willing to give me more time to consider which i really appreciate.



No comments:

Post a Comment