Sunday, December 29, 2019

Help me convince my boss we need a helpdesk

Apologies if this isn't the right sub.

Network admin for a few months now at current job but I wasn't told technical support was part of the job, i.e. fixing laptops, PCs, printers, etc.

It's a five man team and it seems the technical support side of the job really breaks your concentration and sucks away your time from the administration. From my point of view this makes projects take a lot longer to complete and absurd amounts of money may be spent on consultants. What this also means is working from home is not trivial because of the hands-on and in-person nature of technical support.

I believe if the job was focused on just administration it would allow the administrators time to study (a couple guys really need to) and be more effective at the job. More time is spent just managing stuff instead of having time to discuss and design new solutions.

Has there been any research done on the effectiveness of splitting tech support from administration? I'd like some hard evidence that shows it as we know management loves numbers and charts. The only evidence I have is anecdotal where our competitors are doing better than us and they have dedicated helpdesk/tech support lol



No comments:

Post a Comment