Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Enabling DHCP on Firewall, via L3 interface to Core network

Hey, will try to keep this simple - I'm stuck mid way through upgrading our network. I'm a CCNA been working for a 300 seat company for a year and joined with an existing flat network, all L2, using our firewall as gateway and DHCP server, all setup by someone without networking knowledge!

I've created VLANS we need, SVI's on our core for inter vlan routing, and these are working via a different L3 link to our firewall but I have an issue. Due to limitations on our Dell switches they can't run enough DHCP pools, so I'd like to forward the requests to the firewall via ip helper address command.

The Watchguard (M370 with latest OS) won't accept any config for DHCP pools that aren't in the connected interface range, which is an issue as it's a /30 to the core where all the vlan subnets are.

Alternatively, I could run a DHCP server elsewhere but we are entirely Mac based, and using Google Suite and don't have any on-site servers to run DHCP and it's unlikely we'll buy any. Has anyone heard of ways to run DHCP servers in GCP / AWS?



No comments:

Post a Comment