Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Eliminate IDF against cable guys wishes.

We are remodelling a 3 story office with 2 IDFs per floor.

By my math and my wheel measurer- I calculated it right at 300 ft to the furthest office jack. That left 28ft extra (CAT6).

I had them run mile tape and it is in fact looking to be right at 300ft, but they keep pushing back.

I think they really don't want to because 1) to make sure I don't have issues 2) it's harder to run cables that long 3) more expensive for them if they quoted it per run.

My logic for consolidating to one closet per floor. -single UPS -i won't have to run generator power to one closet that was added late -wont have to run fiber to one closet that was added late. -possibly fewer switches. I think per floor I can do 5 switches instead of 3 and 3

It's a big gamble that I'm willing to take but don't have any experience with POE gig phones at the upper limits of CAT6 (328ft).

So curious. If it's under 328 ft- am I golden or even if it's under the spec can I have issues...

Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment