Saturday, December 7, 2019

Do you guys take the time to update firmware, software, OS, for servers and network equipment?

I find this to take a lot of time out of my physical server setups. For example, I got a hp proliant ml950 gen10 to set up last week. It took no time to build the physical server and get it to boot.

It takes a lot of time getting all the "Intelligent Provisioning" stuff updated, and even then I can't manually partition the Hard Drives this way. Trying to install manually is a pain too. The Windows OS didnt recognize the RAID controller, so I couldnt install windows. And turns out the NIC only supports 1Gbps connections so I wasted time trying to figure that one out. I can't even install the drivers, then try to reinstall the OS because it wont recognize the fkn hard drive so wont find the driver. I load the driver onto my flash drive, and it doesnt fkn recognize exFat. So i make it fat32 and get it to work.

Then you update the firmware/software in the iLO, and of course one of the updates will break iLO when trying to install it, even though it was an update found and initiated from within the iLO itself. And since each reboot takes a million years, it takes me a few days before i can begin setting everything else up on the server.



No comments:

Post a Comment