Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Can someone *please* explain PowerConnect 2724 VLANs to me?

Trying to teach myself VLANs... apparently, not a good idea.

For reference: Simplified network diagram

What I'm trying to figure out... well, literally everything. I understand the concepts and theory, but apparently implementation is impossible. In port membership, does "not a member" mean for all purposes or just egress purposes? Does "untagged" mean "switch strips tags" or "switch does not add tags", and "tagged" means it adds a VLAN tag?
In port settings, what does setting a PVID do?

So in short.. literally everything. While the help section says "tagged means all packets forwarded from this port are tagged", that's still ambiguous, does not give a clear definition of what is going on.. and I can't test anything since it all breaks no matter what combinations I try. Nothing has practical examples, so it's impossible for me even begin to have an idea of what needs to be set first.



No comments:

Post a Comment