Thursday, December 12, 2019

"Blended" Carrier Bandwidth - Sanity Check

Apologies for the long post!

I've been working this issue for a few weeks and nearing insanity.

We're redesigning the internet edge at a DC so a greenfield style deployment. Two new ASR 1001HX routers going to a pair of layer 2 switches which "distributes" the internet to some firewalls, SD-WAN boxes, VPN boxes, etc. We have a new /23 block and ASN and this is the only point we are advertising from.

We've ordered a new 1g, 3g burst circuit with 2 /30 handoffs from the DC itself which is "blended" with 4 carriers. The handoffs are 10g LR.

So after installing the circuit, I placed a laptop behind the primary ASR, gave myself one of our public IP address and did some bandwidth testing. Test showed 300mb down / 1g up to a few test servers. Opened ticket with carrier and they of course blamed the ASR and whatnot. So the handoff is 10g making it difficult to test direct, so I used a fresh out of the box Cat 9k layer2 switch ran the 10g handoff to it and tested using the DC's public IP (from the /30). The download speed jumped to 750mb and the upload stayed at 1g.

My logic at this point is I have two issues, #1 I'm not getting the full bandwidth downstream and #2 the issues is amplified behind the ASR.

Opened TAC and Carrier tickets.

TAC reviews ASR config/license/port speed/duplex/SFP etc. Switched out 10G LR Optics, LR Cable. All clear. Our SE from Cisco does the same, no issues.

Carrier says everything is great and that speed test and iperf are unreliable. I requested I get access to plug directly into their equipment and test, same results 750Mb down, 1g up. They blame the test. I connect to my other 1G provider and run the same test, close to 1G up/down! They gave me a iperf server IP to another DC they own in the same city, 750Mb. Then they blame iperf as faulty.

At this point no one will accept responsibility for the issue! Please help, Is there anything I'm missing?



No comments:

Post a Comment