Monday, November 11, 2019

Rebuilding Manufacturing Companies Network from the ground up. Name some Cons that I am not seeing.

Two years ago I started working for a manufacturing company who has in the past, used multiple MSP's for their networking needs. The network is convoluted and is a mess. My boss tasked me with recreating the network from the ground up to have a fresh start.

We have 3 sites which are all connected with wireless bridges with vpn failovers. Right now each site has a fortigate firewall which is used for routing but all traffic is routed through site A. The networks we need are

Main Lan

Cameras

Phones

Shop LAN

Wireless LAN

Wireless BYOD

Wireless Guest

The wireless bridges span A/B and A/C.

My thought is to connect sites B/C with another bridge then ditch the 2 firewalls at B and C. This way we can have redundancy if 1 set of bridges goes down.

I can create VLANS for the phones, cameras, and wireless networks then implement QoS. This would make it so I just have 1 large network to manage with easy routing. We would have 1 LAN and 6 VLANS.

The other option is to keep the 3 firewalls and create separate networks for LAN/Cam/Phone/ 3 wireless networks at each site. This would require 24 networks in total and lots of routing since VLANS cant pass over the routers.

This post isn't the cleanest so bear with me, I tried to make it straightforward and a short read. What problems do you see with my configuration? If you need any more information please don't hesitate to ask.



No comments:

Post a Comment