Friday, November 22, 2019

Help understanding 25/40/100Gbit and MPO/MTP

I am researching in to equipment beyond 10Gbit for future upgrades but having trouble understanding the transceiver types as well as cabling and connector types and fibre capacity requirements. Currently we have 10Gbit uplinks for switches and 10Gbit in all core and data centre using SFP+ and mixture of single mode and multi mode structured fibre cabling with mostly LC and some SC connector panels.

Looking at the optics I see there are two options QFSP+ and QSFP28. I am understanding correctly that QSFP28 is the way to go it has superceded QSFP+? Or is there still place for QFSP+ and 40Gbit?

Also finding it hard to understand the MTO and MTP type cables with breakouts. I understand there is the option for a 1 to 4 breakout cable and to have 1 switch port split into 4 x 10Gbit individual links to separate devices. How does it work when wanting to connect two devices at 100Gbit over a run of fibre? I see the cable contain multi fibre strands, so I assume any structured cabling in between would need that number of strands available? For example, our site to site fibre is presented on LC or SC connectors, would we require say 4 pairs of structured fibre to run a 40Gbit or 100Gbit link between buildings or sites and have to use a breakout cable to split the link into 4 LC connectors? And then same at the other end to go from the 4 LCs to 1.

Basically what I am trying to understand is does all optics that run at over 10Gbit require multiple channels and multiple strands of fibre? Or is WDM involved somewhere? I have years of experience with 10Gbit but feel clueless without actually getting my hands on some 40 or 100Gbit gear and cables and optics etc. Cheers.



No comments:

Post a Comment