Wednesday, November 27, 2019

HELP: I landed a senior-level position I'm not qualified for.

Hey there, some background info on myself:

I've got 5 years in the industry. 1 as an intern and 4 as an FTE. During my tenure I've gotten some good experience. I've been quick to learn and pick up on things. I like to think I know what I'm doing for the most part. I have my CCNA, I've been to a CCNP bootcamp (haven't taken the test because I knew Cisco was doing a refresh soon and didn't want to bother doing a deep-dive on legacy tech like frame-relay). Most of my current job duties are designing networks for company integrations and acquisitions for a reasonably large company (40k employees).

I recently interviewed for a senior level position because I want to start doing more high-level design work to challenge myself. Lo and behold I was extended an offer, but I feel unqualified. I'm extremely resourceful, but with the tenure and the nature of my current job, I just haven't been exposed to a lot of tech in networking. (I only have rudimentary knowledge in firewalls and higher-level design topics).

I'm pretty resourceful and generally figure things out and I like to think that I do my job well, but I function best when I have someone smarter than me to bounce thoughts off of, and I would be "The Guy" at this new position, albeit a much smaller environment, but still global. This position would be a 44% raise from my current salary. A life-style altering amount of money.

My current company offered my a pretty laughable increase to entice me into staying (not even a quarter of the increase the other company is offering). The only thing really holding me there is the love for my team-members and the stability of the company.

I don't really know what to do. I'm young and I've made the mistake of thinking the grass is greener on the other side before, but it's going to take another 5-10 years to make what this company is offering me where I'm at now and I'm getting jaded with my current job duties. Any insight or advice would be great.



No comments:

Post a Comment