Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Fiber point to point question.

I have a question. I am familiar with Ethernet but only familiar with the basics of fiber. Mainly dealing with connecting switches. There was a fiber cut in our area with our ISP (Altice lightpath). It affected our fiber point to point with them. When everything came back up one of our two point to points didnt come back up. I tested the sfps and they were ok. I looked at their equipment and at the mrvs at one end had 10db attenuators. I took off the attenuators and the connection came back up.

My question is why? Is it possible when they spliced everything back up the loss makes them not needed anymore? Lightpath told me since it was a p2p they can't check from their end but can send somebody out if I see issues. Its been up all night but wanted to find out why taking the attenuators off brought the connection back up.



No comments:

Post a Comment