Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Designing a Datacenter Render Farm

I need advice on a datacenter network. It will be a render farm with the following elements:

  • 160 Render nodes, each having dual 10Gbps ports (not sure if RJ45 or SFP yet - advice welcome)
  • An orchestration server, to coordinate render jobs (1Gbps connection fine)
  • A license server (1Gbps connection fine)
  • Dual (redundant) NVME Storage Servers - will require high-speed connections (40Gbps or 50Gbps, dual ports)
  • A firewall with a 10Gbps fiber line to the outside world (possibly dual 10Gbps connections)

I know very little about datacenter networking - my experience extends about as far as networking a small office. I don't intend to build this myself (I'll hire someone to design, deploy, and configure the network) but I do want an idea of costs and configuration.

Any advice welcomed. Apologies in advance if this breaks subreddit rules, I think I comply with the design requirement.

Deployment in Canada if that makes a difference. Remote management preferred.



No comments:

Post a Comment