Friday, November 15, 2019

Dell Force10 Switch, how to tell if it is bricked

Alright so I was tasked with installing a Dell Force 10 managed switch for our business network. The switch was purchased off of eBay, I have no idea if it was listed as a for parts listing because this was bought before I started working here. Two people have tried to get this thing working, but they weren't successful.

The Model for the Switch is force10 sa-01-ge-48t.

I was able to research enough to figure out the Pin layout and configured my own RJ45 to DB9 connector. I also have a USB to serial cable which does read as COM3 on my computer. I set the correct settings in PuTTY for the serial connection and when I open the connection I just get a black screen in the terminal.

I'm at the end of my ropes here due to the fact I can't for the life of me figure out how to get this thing to connect. The two people before me who tried to get it to work came up with the conclusion that the switch was bricked. I'm starting to think the same thing as well.

Sorry if it's something obvious, just started to do this stuff for our business and I'm still learning quite a bit. Knowing my luck as to when I post to Reddit with a question its something right in front of my face.



No comments:

Post a Comment