Friday, November 1, 2019

Career question: Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years.

Hello,

With the constant evolution of IT, nobody's job is secure. MS Exchange admins are already long gone and IT infrastructure engineers are shrinking by the day.

I know I need to get in to the cloud wagon, but I would also like to hear another point of view in regards to where I should be heading to.

A bit about me. I am 34, and just started working in a huge enterprise company. My previous job was not a great place since they didn't know what virtualization (or even ITIL) was! I am CCNP certified with knowledge of linux, VMware, firewalls and Windows administration. I am currently passively on a free online course called "python for network engineers", and I want to get my AWS associate exam.

I went to a couple of interviews and I have failed to answer the question: "Give us an example on how you have successfully migrated workloads to the cloud." I want to be able to answer that, as well as keep my current salary.

I can either:

-move to management which i am not keen of.

-become a developer which I am not seeing it.

-specialize in Security (is CISSP still worth it? or be a CEH)

-become a CCIE (I think CCIE is not as valuable as it was 5 years ago, can you prove me wrong?). What's your opinion about the CCIE devops?

-Presales (which is my preferred route).

Any advice would be appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment