Friday, November 22, 2019

BiDi SFP - no link with a Mikrotik switch, links fine between Netgear switches

I figured this is suitable for here.

So I currently have 25m of multimode OM3 fiber between my WAN modem and my lab which has my router. I'm getting a failover WAN so I thought it would be great to use BiDi to send the signal over the existing duplex fiber (but not adverse to replacing with SMF).

FS advised that OM3 MMF MIGHT work but could not guarantee it, but OS2 SMF would work. Proceeded to buy 1550nm-TX/1310nm-RX and 1550nm-RX/1310nm-TX BiDi SFPs for use - they're rated for 10km.

Using a Netgear GS724T and another Netgear switch, I can get a link using BOTH SMF and MMF but can't check signal levels as neither of the Netgear switches give me that data. However, trying to use the GS724T and the Mikrotik shows the following:

Tx Bias Power Tx Power Rx
12mA -5.804dBm -7.096dBm
14mA -5.954dBm -12.457dBm

The first in the table is the SMF, second is MMF. Both test cables are 30m of fiber. Both SFPs in the Mikrotik are the 1550Tx and the 1310Tx are in the Netgear. Datasheet for the thing is here.

First off, why would the Netgear uplink instantly but the Mikrotik not link, and second, are the power levels off?



No comments:

Post a Comment