Friday, November 29, 2019

Att tech just installed a second line of Adsl to give us 30 Mbps vs the 16 we had before yet said we could get higher with a VPN.

This is a copy/paste from r/buildapc.

I figured this question would be better answered here.

The tech just left after installing a second line in which effectively doubled our speed from 16 to 30 Mbps.

I checked the downstream on speedtest.net and it showed the 31 Mbps.

The tech recommended I use bings speed test first but it had a stall. After finally being able to run bings test the results for downstream came back at 87 Mbps.

I asked the tech why bings speedtest came up 50 Mbps higher than both the modem said it was receiving and what speedtest.net said we were getting and he said that's what Att is sending the modem. The modem is only sending the device 30.

He said I can bypass this by getting a VPN that allows me to go through the filter set by Att.

Does this hold any water?

Also, before he left he said the line would be unstable and now that he has left my downstream while downloading a game on steam has gone back to 16 Mbps. Is there anyway to ensure it remains stable consistently?



No comments:

Post a Comment