Wednesday, November 13, 2019

3Com 4800g Putty keyboard not working

Recently purchased this 3Com 4800g PWR off eBay to start playing with POE equipment and VLANs in my network. Bought a USB to RJ45 serial console cable off Amazon. Using putty settings as indicated on the switch (19200, 8, 1, N) I am able to connect via Com3 and see the bootup sequence of the switch.

Now that I can see whats going on, I cant communicate with it. I have forced a driver updates from the FTDI Chip website as recommended by the Amazon description. I have tried every keyboard setting change in putty that I can think to try. I have tried using other terminal clients such as TeraTerm. Still, I cannot get the terminal to recognize my keyboard input, therefore I cannot configure this switch to give it an IP address and get to the web GUI interface.

My computer does not have a serial port, nor does this switch have a tradition 232 serial port, so I am forced to use a USB to RJ45 console type cable like the one I have purchased. I have looked on ebay for an original 3Com console cable that would work for this switch with no luck. I dont want to keep throwing money at amazon to order different console cables in the hopes that one will work. Someone please tell me what I am missing here.

Edit: Missed a word



No comments:

Post a Comment