Friday, October 11, 2019

With only a CCENT under my belt, what kind of entry level wage seems appropriate?

I am still in school, finishing up my final term now (it's just an A.S. degree in "network engineering"), and am looking to get my foot in the door in the networking field. The way the degree program I am completing is setup is that we have 4 core networking classes (all Cisco based). The first two classes prepare you for the CCENT, and the third and fourth class prepare you for the CCNA cert.

I've completed all of these core networking classes, but currently only have passed my CCENT certification. I do plan to obtain my CCNA, but I admittedly need more time to study certain concepts before I'd feel comfortable attempting it. I recently found a job offer that was hiring people who preferably have a CCNA, but I applied regardless and was contacted and took part in a brief screening process via the phone (in other words, I was asked 10 random networking based questions, all of them very simple, to see if I had what it took to fit the job). I have yet to land the job officially, but at least I passed the beginning phase, so to speak.

Over the phone I was told I would be working 40 hours a week making $17 an hour (with some benefits such as health insurance and whatnot). This isn't much by any stretch, but for an entry level networking position, considering I only have my CCENT, is this common? I guess it depends on location and whatnot, I hear my area can be over-saturated when it comes to networking professionals, therefor the pay is often less than average. But it makes me wonder if I had my CCNA, would they pay me any more for the same exact position?

From what I have gathered over a few phone calls, I'll be working for a pretty major banking corporation dealing with "level 1 and 2" networking (seems rather simple if that's all it is) issues using SD WAN solutions. I have zero experience, in school or out of school, with SD WAN, but I've been looking into it and the learning curve should be pretty simple. I'm excited to get my foot in the door, and to obtain some industry related experience if anything, but I'm also curious as to what others have experienced.



No comments:

Post a Comment