Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Why NOT use eBGP as the only IGP?

Intro: We're a small firm, with not a very big network. Basically a DC setup and some access L3 switches for ourselves. We mostly build IT infrastructure stuffs for our clients, but have some clients stuffs running on our infrastructure aswell. I'm currently in the process of "upgrading" our own stuff as I'm the new guy. That means going from an old ASA to Firepower - I know... One of our architects is a hardcore Cisco fanboy, so nothing I can do about it atm.

The Big Decision: So I basically had to choose between OSPFv2 & OSPFv3 vs BGP. (Firepower has no neat GUI support for IS-IS).

My considerations: I will deploy dual-stack v4 & v6. I do not like OSPF. I do not like Ciscos FP implementation of OSPFv3 as a separate process for IPv6. I want to keep things as simple as possible, yet flexible.

Since I do not have a full mesh and want to use route reflectors, I decided to go with eBGP (complemented with BFD) as the only routing protocol on the network for our own devices. I have been doing some research and I still do not see why it would be a bad idea.

Please tell me why it is a bad idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment