Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Switch redundancy

Hello,

I have a couple of machines (running FreeBSD) connected to an HPE 2530-24G switch. I'd like to add redundancy in case of switch failure and plan to buy another HPE 2530-48G, and interconnect the two through the SFP+ ports. We have several (tagged) VLAN. What I'd like to do is to add link failover at first and aggregation in a second time, so basically on each server connect IF1 in switch 1 and IF2 in switch 2.

Failover can be done fairly easily I think, with LAGG and failover as the aggregation protocol (which is the default), but I'm wondering if I could use LACP as the aggregation protocol when two switches are involved and if something special should be configured on the switch part, apart from the trunks groups?

To take a concrete example let's say that machine1 has port 1 connected to switch1 and port 2 connected to switch2, with one virtual LAGG interface in LACP mode. If the two switches are operationnal the traffic will be balanced across the ports in the LAGG, is it correct? How could I configure one trunk group with a port for switch1 and a port from switch2? In case of switch failure will the traffic no longer be sent on the interface connected to the dying switch?

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment