Saturday, October 5, 2019

Suggestions on Simulated Network Testing (I.E. GNS3 or Others)

I would like test my configuration before buying equipment.

I am setting up a core network to take into account new growth. Up till now most of the network has been rather flat so a simple hub/spoke has been working well. I cant afford a proper stacking switch to properly take into account LACP connections from multiple devices so I am going to have to get fancy with the stp/rstp. I want to test this before buying any equipment or at least evaluating if the limitations of the equipment I plan to get will make it not work correctly.

Other then GNS3 what other options are there for network emulation and testing? All I really need is layer 2 but I will have layer 3 capable switches at my disposal. I have setup GNS3 and have access to some cisco based router ISO's setup as etherswitch to test with but are there other pieces of software out there that could make my life easier/quicker to test with as I am not super up to date on my IOS commands? While I can figure out how to do this in cisco I am trying to do this quick and wouldn't mind using a GUI (Think Ubiquiti Edgeswitch) of some sort to put it together quickly. (As best as I can tell there is no ubiquiti OS appliance available for GNS3)

I also took a look at open vswitch but havent had time to read up on how to actually use that.

Is GNS3 the way to go or are there other options?



No comments:

Post a Comment