Monday, October 28, 2019

Seperate LACP trunks, or combined LACP trunks?

Edit: That title was supposed to be ‘separate or single LACP trunks’. Apologies.

We have a network with two ‘environments’. These ‘environments’ cannot be combined for reasons (read; money). Each ‘environment’ has its own heavily used VM servers, but they share a physical storage server, which connects to the also shared gigabit switch over a dot1q trunk.

My boss wants to take that storage server the and break the trunk from a 4-port trunked LACP link into two 2-port LACP links, one for a physical switch for each environment.

I feel like this isn’t a great network design choice, but I can’t really explain why. My thought was that, since a couple of the links are always under load, a sudden burst of traffic might cause problems. I’m sure someone else can explain the actual facts better than I can though.



No comments:

Post a Comment