Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Preferences on NOS and Whitebox Hardware

I am trying to decide on a path for my network. I am looking at "Whitebox" options and their built in OS's (eg. fiberswitch, edge-core, dell) or go pure bare-metal and look at some of the NOS systems out there.

All I am really looking for is standard L3/L2 features, but also MLAG/"Stacking". So far I like the idea of the Whitebox switch with software over the built in, but Price is a strong factor as I will want two switches for the redundancy but can only afford one of the two at this time (Second one could be bought early next year if needed).

What are peoples feelings are on the names I have found:

Cumulus - Seems a touch Expensive based on some of the offerings on FS's site. IPfusion Big Switch Networks
PICA8 - Cheaper then Cumulus?

Other then the BS fs has pulled with the marketing what do people feel about with edge-core/fs builtin software?

I have looked at the usual hardware vendors (Dell, FS, Edge-core), and am wondering what experiences people have run into with those brands and the NOS based software.

One of the big things I am worried about in all of this is company reputation and support. I just realized as a cost saving feature I could possibly go with a Dell switch and save money on the software with openswitch. I do understand that this is a more on your own support model though.



No comments:

Post a Comment