Wednesday, October 23, 2019

netstat on local systems shows high number of ipv4/6 Received Packets Discarded, Redirects, Failed Connection Attempts, Reset Connections and Segments Retransmitted

I've been troubleshooting various "network slowness" issues and other things and I've checked and double-checked network switch statistics and ports and various things but nothing really stands out screaming "this is the problem!". I did notice there was one switchport that had very high Received Packets Discarded and I traced it back to a regular old user workstation. I did a netstat -s on it and saw that it was showing a continuously growing number of Received Packets Discarded and so I checked the NIC and ethernet cable and did a Wireshark pcap and some other things. One thing I also did was do a netstat -sp on about 6 other workstations and I am seeing pretty much similar results where systems show a varying degree of seemingly high ipv4/6 Received Packets Discarded, Redirects, Failed Connection Attempts, Reset Connections and Segments Retransmitted. Screenshot of two sample computers

 

I am just trying to determine if these stats are relatively normal or not. I don't seem to have near as many high stats on my local system so I'm guessing it has to do with the various apps users are using day to day (which I don't) or if there is something actually wrong with the network.

 

I am still researching all this stuff, I just thought I'd ask here to see if anyone could offer some decent insight.



No comments:

Post a Comment