Thursday, October 17, 2019

MPTCP, MLVPN, Linux bonding module, Peplink speedfusion, mushroom networks, please help!

I am in a rural area and have used multiple technologies to bond two very different links over many years. Lately I have been using peplink with an AWS hosted endpoint to do VPN wan bonding. It does what I want, but I hate using proprietary tech when I know there must be a clean elegant way to do this with FOSS.

I have used mlvpn before and the issue I had was that it seemed unmaintained and it wanted to use both links all the time which is not what I want. I want an aggressive health check to cause an immediate switch to using the backup link in a failover scenario for all L3+ traffic.

I see where people are using mptcp as apparently implemented by the linux kernel bonding module combined with ovpn tun interfaces and a socks proxy for udp. If I am reading the bonding module documentation correctly the failover mode works with the state of the tun interface instead of any health check, and the way ovpn works means that I think I would need to remove the failed interface from the bond, wait for the health check to pass, and then bring that interface back up. Is adding that logic the only hurdle here? Is the linux bonding kernel module meant to be an implementation of mptcp or am I way off and missing something?



No comments:

Post a Comment