Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Looking for opinions on small business network rework.

Hi, I'm new here and in networking world in general (I finished a ccna course, but didn't take the exam).

I'm currently working on expanding a small business network.

Network consists of 6 clients, 1 printer, a Synology DS918+, 1 computer running ipfire that serves as a router, dns, dhcp server and firewall, a 24 port DGS-1100, and IPS provided fiber modem, all connected with twisted pair RJ-45 cables. I'm swapping ipfire pc for a mikrotik CRS109, adding a second switch (8 port), a printer and 6 clients.

https://imgur.com/a/JtWUH4t - still work in progress, but shows the general idea. I want to make downtime as short as possible by minimizing changes to existing setup (blue).

As you can see, i want to create separate LAN for new users. They need access to the synology, so, since it has two RJ-45 ports, I'd like to connect one of them to 192.168.1.0/24, and the other to 192.168.2.0/24. Is this a good idea, or should i create something similar to a DMZ between the two networks and place the server there?

Another idea I have considered was to split ports of 24-port switch into two vlans, make mikrotik router-on-stick, connect printers and users to corresponding vlans and server either to both vlans or to mikrotik in DMZ-like network, but I think it'd require a lot more time to set up.

I'm open to suggestions and constructive criticism.



No comments:

Post a Comment