Saturday, October 19, 2019

Layer 2 over Layer 3 to get rid of STP?

Hi,

An application I'm using using can't wait for RSTP to converge. We're experiencing convergence times that take up to 20 seconds total. I've been thinking on alternative solutions that can converge the network more quickly.

At the center of this is 5 rooms that are equal with the same network gear spread out geographically, where 4 of the 5 rooms are identical and each can on its own run the workload. The 5th room exists as a tie breaker for clustering. We are seeing a requirement in the close future on the workload to have n+2 redundancy, thus the complex nature behind it. I've played with Cisco ACI and to some extent with VMware NSX as well in the past. For the workload today and in the near future stupendously expensive for such a small environment besides its criticality.

The network gear I'm looking to purchase to solve this is stacked Cisco 3850's that allow me (from what I can figure out) to run EoMPLS over either an iBGP or EIGRP or OSPFv3 L3 network with BFD configured on the interfaces that connect it together. I expect this to be a network that can converge down into the 1-2 second range, if not faster. Each room is connected to the other rooms with fiber. For switches that are downlink of the stacked switches, can I utilize the same configuration in case they have redundant paths to more than one room as well?

Are there any alternatives to EoMPLS to get Layer2 across Layer 3?

Lastly, am I making an even bigger headache with configuring a Layer3 transport for Layer2?



No comments:

Post a Comment