Saturday, October 26, 2019

Job change help needed

I've been in networking for 16 years and am an Infrastructure director at a university in southeast US. Trying to be vague though I doubt anyone from work uses Reddit or this subreddit specifically. Networking, Telecom, and server architecture is all under me. I'm much younger than my staff or peers and occasionally I get overruled in management decisions just because of that. If any peers or my VP can't understand something I'm trying to do they immediately attack my decisions and make it difficult to try new things at all. My age has been the butt of the joke more than one and I've heard many underhanded comments with it involved as well. I've been in this role for almost 3 years and it's driving me nuts. I've had issues with my VP for some time. Some management related and some financially. He is very stingy with raises and has given very poor promotion pay on excuses like time in the position, the area, and my age. Of course there are peers that do very little and they are very well paid in comparison. I feel salary should be dependent on results, not age. Though I'm content, and somewhat unsure why that is given my negative picture painted above, I've never turned down a new position speech from headhunters or companies directly. Very recently I was offered a position with a large MSO as a sales engineer. The role supports a couple sales representatives from a purely technical aspect. Hosted voice, fiber sales, and soon managed services. I'll write up technical specifications, BOMs, network diagrams, some ROI work here and there, fiber plant extensions assessments. Most of that is all remote and 20-30% travel at most. I like what I do but I'm tired of all the red tape with public sector regulations and the peer issues described above. The new job would be an extra 42k/year with 33k of that being commissions. The commission structure is pretty good though since it is from the sales team as a whole and divided amongst the other 3 sales engineers I'd work with. Trending over the last 5 years the sales are going up. I am leaning towards the new position but something is keeping me from just accepting the offer. Anyone made a similar move or are currently in sales engineering? Advice appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment