Wednesday, October 2, 2019

How to pick the best router to match with ISP speed limits

I am looking for a new home router. We have been using a pretty basic one for years (Linksys E1200) and I think it is time for an upgrade.

I must say that I have no issues with this current router, other than wanting better coverage outside our home to extend to the back deck and front lawn. We’ve had no major issues with speed, although the newer ones with dual-band could be faster? I use one wireless extender to boost the signal in the bedrooms, and it works quite well.

We get our internet via a satellite dish, and according to our ISP the top speeds are 30mbps down and 5mbps up.

I know these numbers are pretty basic and nowhere close to city residential speeds. Is this perhaps the reason why this basic router has been enough for us?

I have been looking at the newer models and their specs and prices seem overkill given the limitations of our ISP.

My current router is single-band Wireless-N at 300mbps. If real wireless speeds are cut down in half due to interference, this means it is still more than capable at 150mbps given that it only takes 30mbps as input. Is this correct?



No comments:

Post a Comment