Thursday, October 24, 2019

How do I determine how many routers a company network "needs"?

Hey folks, this might be an odd question but I wasn't able to find an answer for my question, and am not sure how to formulate it correctly. I am currently studying for my ccna and do a lot of labbing in packet tracer where I think of topologies and implement routing protocols like ospf, bgp and eigrp.

But what I have not yet come across yet is, at what point does an enterprise need multiple routers spanned across a single building?

Does a small company with 200 users need more than 1(maybe 2 for redundancy) router which connects only to the isp? My guess would be no, I'd have my router connected to my core switch(es) via ROS and configured vlans.

How about 500 users/devices? In my eyes a single router would still be enough?

1000 users? Would it still be enough with some multilayer switches?

Can you even tell by only a user count how many routers you need? Parameters like security/routing protocol also play a big role right?

And what about Ospf for example? Single-Area will probably suffice for small networks. In case of a bigger building, will I still only need one area? And multi areas to different sites with a tunnel to each other?

I guess that there probably won't be a general answer to it but would be glad to receive some information!

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment