Thursday, October 24, 2019

How disruptive is UDP broadcasting?

I'm developing a chat program and wondering how noisy/disruptive it would be to broadcast the host information as a datagram in a 1000ms/1s loop so clients automatically know how to connect.

How disruptive is it for a network to receive broadcasted UDP to all existing NICs/nodes in general and when is it too much? I wonder about the specific disruptive part where nodes receive a datagram and have to spend attention to drop/ignore it. I know certain clients do the communication entirely with UDP, I can't imagine the amount of noise having e.g. 10 clients doing 10x10 broadcasts all the time instead of just doing 10 connections to a TCP service, that's before the loss of reliability as well but that's not the question here.

I don't care about theorycrafting, I can do that myself. I'd like some actual analytical or gained experience with UDP datagram broadcasting and its potential detrimental effect on other local network traffic. Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment