Saturday, October 26, 2019

Get a Wave vs Purchase bandwidth from local T2

In a very rural area, 300 miles from any carrier hotel and paying $6k per month for 2.5Gbps. There are two providers in the area that have fiber networks from here to KC and STL (Centurylink and Shoeme Electric). We are having a horrendous time with with outages and billing problems on Centurylink and I'm looking to make a change.

Any educated guesses on what a 300 mile wave might cost in MO ? I'm thinking that if I got a Wave all the way to the carrier hotel in Kansas City or St Louis (both aprox 300 miles from here) then I could buy bandwidth from T1, say Hurricane Electric for example, for pennies per Mbps. I know a wave isn't cheap but I have no clue what kind of expenses I'm looking at so not sure when paying a little under $3.00 per Mbps becomes more expensive than 300 miles of wave and pennies per Mbps.

So far talking to Shoeme power has been very unproductive as they pretty obviously do not want to sell me a wave and have been just super difficult to get any information from them for anything other than just buying internet from them instead of Centurylink. They want $11,000 just to bring their fiber aerial, they own the poles, from across the street so I can buy internet from them instead of Centurylink. I don't really know exactly what to ask for and they don't volunteer any information.



No comments:

Post a Comment