Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Do I want SDWAN, or something else?

Hello! One-man-band small business here and I need some design advice. My go-to vendors don't understand how to help me design what I'm looking for.

What I have:

  • Public-facing apps: Websites, SFTP Servers, SIP Connectivity to multiple carriers

  • Two sites. Most apps are hosted from Prod site. Some apps (websites) are at both sites. More Complex apps are failover with our datacenter (SFTP Server) or have IP failover with vendor (SIP). DR Site is a colo with my equipment.

  • Currently, have a slow, small, MPLS for replication and layer2 PROD<>DR Connectivity.

  • Complex public app DR with DNS Failover

  • Too small for BGP (only 15-20 public apps)

  • Aging out Palo Alto firewalls (but I like PA, so new ones)

What I want:

  • Carrier agnostic connectivity - direct internet circuits only - two at each site - 1GB each

  • Public users (like websites and SIP) connect to one place. That place is always up, or failover is transparent. In other words, a simple website (www.mysite.com) can live in multiple physical locations and requires no DNS failover or BGP to work when internet or a location goes down

  • fast replication between the sites (using Nutanix AHV across the board)

  • Simple config/maintenance for changes because I don't have a network team

Do I want SDWAN?

Here's a dream graphic. Each arrow line is a different DIA to some magical place where my apps' public footprint lives.

https://imgur.com/a/L12C7YS

TIA



No comments:

Post a Comment