Saturday, October 19, 2019

Combatting dust in IDF cabinets

Hello r/networking,

I work in IT at a pretty large international manufacturing business. I have been asked to redo all of the IDF cabinets in the plant as, at the moment, they are a mess. This will be done during a window way out in December. Ever since I started here about nine months ago, I've noticed a pretty suspicious amount of our networking gear failing. This is due to dust stirred up from the manufacturing process. Most of our equipment has an expected lifespan of little more than a year in these environments, and as it is a 24/7 plant, regular cleaning is nearly impossible. At the moment, all of these cabinets just have the fan that came with the enclosure installed in the default location.

Does anyone have any kind of experience in preventing this? At the moment, my plan is to install some sort of dust filtration and better ventilation into the cabinets. However, I can't really find a lot of documentation on this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment