Tuesday, October 1, 2019

best solution for temporary office in Peru for small tech startup with broadband and preferably cellular failover

Our team is going to Peru for 2 months and we want to have stable internet. Speed is not as essential as stability. We will be in Pisac, outside of Cusco, where broadband is recently introduced and not super stable. the provider guarantees a whopping 99.5% uptime. lol. Cellular networks there are more robust with higher quality service, but prices per GB can be high. And they can also have occasional downtime or slowness.

There will be about 15 people who will need internet for web browsing, web apps, email, occasional video calls, etc.

I was thinking of getting something like a CradlePoint AER1600 mobile broadband router and connect that to the WAN as well as two cellular carriers and hope for the best. I also looked into Peplink MAX series of multi carrier routers. There are also more consumer brands such as Huawei 4G routers. I could also just get everyone to tether from their own phones (if they are carrier unlocked).

I want to find a resonable solution that combines cost hopefully less than ~$1500 as well as ease of use and setup (I can manage things if the software is reasonably easy to use) and of course performance and reliability.

Any advice on how to approach this problem. Should I hire a consultant, call the companies above for advice? I'm reasonably tech savvy, but not exceedingly so, so i need some help! I'd like to buy hardware this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment