Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Writing to QNAP NAS is incredibly slow from 1 of 2 machines using it. Any ideas?

I just got a QNAP TS 453BT3 setup with 4 8TB Ironwolf drives in RAID 5 the other day. My desktop is currently connected via a standard Gigabit connection until I get my 10g card in. This PC writes and reads at maximum Gigabit speeds right now. Everything performs as expected on this machine and has been working well.

However, my second machine which is a 2019 XPS 15 laptop is writing incredibly slow and sometimes timing out over Thunderbolt connection. Most of the transfers start in the kbps and eventually drop to 0 before freezing in windows explorer. Interestingly, read speeds are very good and get up in the 400MBps range.

I have no idea where to start with these terrible write speeds and timeout issues. I have no idea why I'm unable to copy files to the NAS from the XPS. I don't see any permission limitations and am not getting any errors, just horrendous performance.

I'm brand new to NAS stuff so any suggestions for me would be super appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment