Tuesday, September 24, 2019

WiFi troubleshooting: SSID not showing

Hello people! Thanks for reading my very first real post on reddit and any help that may come from it.

The other week I was at a conference center with conference wifi for everyone. I have an iPhone 8 and a Samsung gs7. The SSID being broadcast showed up fine on both mobile devices but not on a cheap tablet that I purchased for the occasion (Samsung Tab A?). I reasoned that it was my own fault for buying a cheap tablet and maybe it was something to do with their hardware since I made sure to apply all applicable updates.

Now I'm at another conference center with 2(actually 6) laptops. They're all Dell Inspiron 15: five running windows 10 home, the other running windows server 2016.

This time, I have the same problem. I see the SSID being broadcast and can access from windows 10 home laptops.. but not the machine running windows server.

I wish I could drop it and move on but this kind of tells me that my prior assumption, that maybe it was a problem of hardware, is not necessarily right.

I have been working all day and haven't really had a moment to stop and think this through or do any significant research on the topic (and on that note I might need to come back and make edits/clarify because I'm too tired to go back and re-read this). Google searches flood me with common troubleshooting techniques that were not helpful. I don't really care about getting this specific device onto that wifi network. What I want is to understand why some devices can't even see an SSID. Why would 2 Any advice on where to start looking for an answer would also be helpful if there is no one that can help answer my question. Thank you for any help.



No comments:

Post a Comment