Monday, September 2, 2019

Weird configuration that I'm not familiar with, but need to write a report about.

Hey everyone,

So we have a vendor that does the networking for our projects and they have always been flat networks. Recently we starting doing vlans and the vendor was tasked with creating a multi vlan network for projects moving forward. We've noticed that some of the projects just have random issues of outages, or wifi not working properly, things taking too long to connect, so on.

I was tasked with looking over their config to find any issues and I've noticed that they do things a little differently than what I'm used to.

These are brocade switches (I'm a cisco guy, and brocade does things different if I understand correctly with their tags and trunks, thats why I mention it) and here's how they are configured:

All ports are tagged with all vlans, we have 5-7 different vlans, and then a dual mode is set to allow only the traffic that should be on that port.

This configuration is clearly working because the network DOES work, but I cant help but think it is improperly configured due to the issues they experience.

I took it upon myself to redo one of their networks using untagging and only allowing the specified vlan on the port that it needs to be on, and so far, everything works fine and things just seem 'snappier'. Devices get IPs faster, services respond quicker, outages resolve in less time, etc.

Am I wrong to say they are doing it iscorrectly and there are better practices?



No comments:

Post a Comment